Emergency School Closings:
When a decision is made to close Suffolk Public Schools because of weather conditions, or to close a single school for other reasons, detailed information will be provided in the following places:
FASTEST WAY to GET UPDATES:
- SPS Facebook Page … www.facebook.com/SuffolkVAPublicSchools/
- School Messenger … Automated phone calls with a recorded message will begin calling the homes of students and staff. The numbers called are based on the contact information stored in the division’s database.
- SPS Website …www.spsk12.net A recorded message will be available after hours at 925-6750.
- Television stations … WVEC-13, WAVY-10, WTKR-3 … and their websites
Code 1 / Essential Personnel — Defined
Please be reminded on the occasions when the school division is impacted with severe weather, it is necessary that resulting concerns or issues are promptly addressed before the next opening day.
Under the “Code 1/Essential Personnel” designation, principals and department heads, and all custodians assigned to that building, are to report to their work locations to ensure there are no concerns to be addressed (such as broken pipes, no heat, other issues). It is important that all buildings are promptly inspected and issues addressed to allow students/staff to be received on the next opening day.
At the discretion of the principal/department head, additional staff may be required to report to work to address concerns resulting from a severe weather event. When required to work additional hours, the principal/department head shall provide compensatory time to offset the additional work time that was provided by the employee during the “Code 1/Essential Personnel” time period.
Suffolk Public Schools will consider opening schools on a two-hour delay, due to inclement weather, hazardous conditions, power outages, or other emergency situations. Bus pick-ups for all students would begin either one hour or two hours later than normal pick-up times.
“Delayed Opening” means that any before-school child care will also open under the same delay. Elementary student early drop-off would be delayed until 10:30 a.m. Breakfast would not be served on either delayed opening schedule. Lunch would be served. Dismissal time and after-school activities would remain the same unless otherwise noted.
Before- and After-School Childcare Programs
Suffolk Parks & Recreation Department will announce changes to their schedule independently, since their centers are separate from the school building.
Elementary schools offering YMCA childcare at the school will follow this revised schedule:
- On the mornings of school delays, the YMCA before-school program provided at the schools themselves will be cancelled.
- If schools dismiss early, the YMCA after-school program is cancelled and children must be picked up at school dismissal time.
- If schools are closed, there will be no YMCA childcare in the elementary schools. The Suffolk YMCA may offer children enrolled in a school-based program an opportunity for childcare at its Godwin Boulevard facility. Call the YMCA at 934-9622 for details.
Families Need to Plan Ahead
If an early closing of school becomes necessary, students need to know what to do and where to go when they get off the school bus. There may be times that school dismissal will be delayed beyond regular school hours due to extreme weather conditions or for other reasons. The same assortment of communication tools listed above will be used when possible.