Four new members of the Suffolk School Board will make their first official appearance at the board’s annual organizational meeting on Thursday, Jan. 3 in City Hall, located at 442 W. Washington St.
… At 6:30 p.m., new board members will receive the official oath of office by Suffolk Clerk of the Court Randy Carter.
… At 7 p.m., the board will hold its organizational meeting, where it will elect a chair and vice chair for 2019. Committee assignments will also be decided.
Newly elected board members include:
- Karen Jenkins, representing the Cypress Borough
- Lorita Mayo, representing the Holy Neck Borough;
- Tyron Riddick, representing the Suffolk Borough; and
- Sherri Story, representing the Chuckatuck Borough.
- Karen Jenkins is a behavior therapist with Western Tidewater Community Services Board, working with school-aged children.
- Lorita Mayo is a retired principal from Suffolk Public Schools, serving 31 years as teacher and administrator.
- Tyron Riddick is a Virginia Department of Corrections officer, and also runs a non-profit organization for local youth.
- Sherri Story is a retired teacher from Suffolk Public Schools, most recently in the International Baccalaureate high school specialty program.